Tuesday, May 25, 2010

One step closer ....

A little more than 7 years ago, I was pregnant with Aspen. Being pregnant with her didn't agree with my body and 2 months before she was due, my blood pressure spiked to unbelievably high levels. My blood pressure was so high they decided to deliver her emergency c-section in Pocatello. We found out later that 50% of women with blood pressure as high as mine don't make it. I spent a week in the hospital and when I went home my blood pressure was still very high and I was on 3 blood pressure medications. We had to leave Aspen in Pocatello. We drove every day to the hospital in Pocatello to spend just a few hours with her. It was a difficult time in our lives and I began to wonder what was the next step we needed to take in our lives.

I began to pray often about what I needed to do. I knew I need to do something but I wasn't sure what. We were barely making it financially and I knew we needed another income source. I also knew that I wouldn't be able to pay daycare for 4 kids so getting a job wasn't an option. Then one night while reading my Bible, I read a verse that said something about going and doing what you were planning a year ago. This verse totally spoke to my heart and I began to think what was my plan a year ago?

Before I got pregnant with Aspen, my plan was to finally go back to school. I had always wanted to go to college to be a psychologist. So I began the process of filling out applications and financial aid. I was so excited when I got accepted and I began my journey as a student.

Through my experiences I decided to change my major to social work. When I sat down and figured out my schedule I was always able to get into the classes I wanted. I received enough financial aid to help us through. I passed every class with C- or better. Even the hardest classes that I knew others struggled just to pass after 2 or 3 times I only took once. God blessed my journey every step of the way.

Finally on May 8, 2010, I did it. I graduated from ISU with a Bachelors Degree in social work and an Associates Degree in criminal justice. What a blessing to be able to accomplish my goals.

I knew I wasn't done. My ultimate goal is to open an inpatient treatment center for kids who are struggling with suicidal ideation, self-harm, and low self-esteem. I applied to Boise State University to get my Masters Degree, with my fingers crossed. I knew many who were applying, I was worried I wouldn't be accepted. I was worried about finding a job. Every week at Bible study that was my prayer request. I serve an amazing God and I got accepted over many others who did not. I was jumping up and down and screaming. My girls finally said "mom please don't scream anymore". On top of that I was handed a job that is part time, good pay, flexible hours, and something I enjoy doing. How awesome.

I will be starting classes in June. I am so excited. I feel so blessed and I am amazed at the grace of God. There is a song by Chris Tomlin called "Your Grace is Enough". God's grace is so much more than I ever thought I could have. I know it is only time that stands between me and my dreams. The hardest part will be waiting for God's time. =)

Thank you Lord for you faithfulness and amazing grace. You are more than I deserve.




1 comment:

Lemme said...

yay!!! congratulations klarice!!! im so happy for you!!!

About Me

My photo
My name is Klarice and I’m and ex-Mormon. Many years ago someone stepped out in faith and shared God’s love and message of His saving grace with me. I now have the opportunity to do the same. I am wife to an amazing man and mother of 4 of the most amazing kids in the world. I have a Master’s Degree in Social Work from Boise State University and work at a job that I love. I feel blessed to have the life that I have and am grateful for the opportunity to share my story. I pray that God will take my story and use it to build His kingdom.